Tuesday 1 June 2010

We are all Bourgeois Now

For Louise Bourgeois.


Modern Masters was a joy to watch over the past few weeks, but perhaps now it's time for the BBC to earn my licence fee and give us (post)Modern Mistresses, Louise Bourgeois, Fida Kahlo, Georgia O'Keeffe, Cindy Sherman, Käthe Kollwitz, Jenny Saville, Kiki Smith, ah there's loads. My point isn't just to even the playing field, but Modern Masters aimed (at times) to blow away the artist as hero myth, through it's narrative but served merely to strengthen that point of view. Ah, what do I know? The Picasso one was canny though.

5 comments:

Paul Thompson said...

nice post

Dennis J. Reinmüller said...

Nice post, indeed!

Gary said...

Thanks guys. Just thought I'd keep it simple. Dennis, is there a bourgeois piece in that book of yours for you to draw?

Paul Thompson said...

I've only watched the Picasso episode so far, but might watch the others later today. Would be fantastic if they continued this series.

Dennis J. Reinmüller said...

Yeah, there actually is. It's a big marble ball crushing a baby leg. I'll get on it!