Saturday 20 October 2012

Nightbus

Here it is, folks, the big reveal of the cover to the long awaited Nightbus 3...


Yeah, colour. I deliberated hugely over that. I knew it needed something to lift it, but felt that the black and white version was still really strong and true to the noir roots of the book. In the end, I decided to take a risk, and I hope it paid off. Colour remains, one of the hardest things I have to deal with.

Let's talk composition, seeing as I understand that. I was never happy with the last two covers of Nightbus. One seemed to carry the impression of a narrative, but it just seemed forced and static. Two was even worse. So with this I tried to make a composition that complements the feel of the book, fractured, overlapping and with pace and movement. It's set against a backdrop which is Newcastle unmistakably, but isn't hampered by the landmarks.

I've decided to release this before Thought Bubble so you lot can get your hands on it earlier if you are so inclined. Hopefully a few reviews may inspire people to seek the book out specifically at TB. It seems a better tactic than relying on the whim of the crowd to bring punters to the table.

The cover features our core of characters from issue one, left to right, Conrad, Scarlet, Nadine and César. But who else may turn up?

No comments: