Sunday 4 November 2012

Nightbus Review on Geek Syndicate

The good people of Geek Syndicate have only gone and done a review of the whole Nightbus series, giving four out of five stars!


Reviewer Luke Halsall looked favourably on all three issues, in spite of there being a massive gap between issues two and three and in my view, a massive leap in quality. Here's a quote that made me beam with delight,

"Bainbridge's art is glorious... The panel structures are clever, making the book look and feel different."

Now would be a good point to read the whole review if you haven't already. I'll wait here.

Luke mentions references to the superhero genre, which although we tried to step away from those, were undeniably an influence. Also mentioned is Kick-Ass, which I first heard about when somebody came rushing up to me at a comic con saying that Mark Millar had stolen the central idea of Nightbus. My lawyers were called off before things got too messy. Brian Wood's Demo is also mentioned, and while I've read some of his work, Demo has escaped me. Maybe I'll give it a look.

I was chuffed that the panel breakdowns were mentioned too as I spend a lot of time thinking about them and how the story, sequence and narrative actually flows. With one and two, I felt I was a little too experimental; but that was the nature of the beast, we wanted something that would be attention-grabbing as a whole if found lying around a pub. With issue three, I was much more pleased with the breakdowns and overall flow, which makes it roll along at a solid pace I think.

Thanks again to Luke and Geek Syndicate for the review. Nightbus 1 and 2 can be bought in the Shop, I'll let you know when you can pick up number three.

No comments: